Today marks the 10 year anniversary of a little blog called Vampy Varnish. I can’t quite believe it, it feels surreal. It seems as though I just started this blog maybe 3-4 years ago, but it also seems like it’s been forever. I’ve stopped a few times for months at a time, but I *think* this is now the the longest continuous running US based nail blog out there. Don’t quote me on that though.
I started this blog because I was starved of creativity at my day job and desperately needed an outlet. One day I searched for some nail polish shade online and I came across a couple nail blogs, and honestly at the time I had NO idea what a blog was. The blogs were All Lacquered Up, Scrangie and The Polish Addict. I was HOOKED. For a couple months I read these blogs and went back in their archives and was totally fascinated by the idea of starting my own blog. I’ve always loved dark nail shades, so I came up with the name Vampy Varnish, went to GoDaddy and snagged the URL. This was my first post.
Here are some highlights and how things have changed over the last 10 years:
- When I started there were less than 10 nail blogs in the US (that I knew of anyway) and now there are literally tens of thousands.
- Social media was barely a thing when I started (I think only Facebook and Twitter existed) and it definitely wasn’t mandatory to have it if you were a blogger.
- Zoya was the first brand to take notice of me about 2 months after I started my blog, so I have been working with them almost the whole ten years!
- I came out with a nail polish collection with BB Couture in 2009, which was SO awesome!
- At some point in late 2009 I started reviewing makeup as well as nail polish because I was getting bored (the curse of the Gemini.)
- I found a vintage Cutex nail set an an antique store which was then featured in a documentary about a Jewish couple who saved 50 people from the Nazis (I was in the credits also.)
- This post about nearly peeing my pants in public in 2011 always makes me laugh.
- When I quit my job to become a full-time blogger (and basically it sucked right from the beginning.)
- My first (and hopefully last) major bout of depression and sickness…
- Me vs. a fruit fly (spoiler alert: he won at first, then I did) WARNING: Gory pics!
- When I was the first blogger profile featured in Nail It! Magazine in 2013.
- Back when Too Faced flew me to Palos Verdes in 2013.
- That time in 2014 when I worked with piCture pOlish in creating my shade Blue Dog.
- My 5,285 bottle nail polish collection as of October 2016 (now I estimate between 6,000-7,000.)
Honestly it never ceases to amaze me that some of you have been with me since the very beginning or close to it! It’s super strange that some of you were in high school when you started reading it, and now you are married with kids! Mind blowing.
Even if you are just today finding my blog, thank you for all your support, each and every one of you. This has been a wild ride!