We all have to wake up at some point during the day.
Or maybe not?
Ok most of us have to wake up and get “ready” at some point to go to work, or school or the grocery store. Or hell, just be able to look at yourself in the mirror without wanting to gag (maybe that’s just me).
During the work week I have to wake up at an ever-hellish 5:00 am. In case you were wondering, this doesn’t get any easier, even after 5 years of it. In the early darkness I stumble into the shower (after brushing the teeth), because that is the only thing that halfway wakes me up. Not to mention I am most definitely NOT one of those people who can just wake up with good hair.
This is what I look like when I wake up.
Minus the facial scruff. And the fact that I don’t wake up as the opposite sex. Normally.
Then I do the following.
- I keep my hair in a towel to soak up water as I do my makeup.
- First up is moisturizer, moisturizer, moisturizer around eyes…
- Then all over my face with an SPF moisturizer (I prefer Clinique Super Defense).
- Next up is either a BB Cream if I’m feeling lazy (Dr. Jart) or a primer (I use ones from Hard Candy & Tarte mainly).
- Foundation is the next step. My go-to is still Dior Capture Totale or Chanel Pro Lumiere.
- I very rarely use powder because it makes those of us who are over oh say 32 look older. But if I see excess shine on forehead/chin/nose I’ll use a little of a brightening one.
- After that I always slap on my ever-so-trusty Too Faced Shadow Insurance on lids.
- Then comes my least favorite part. Filling in eyebrows. I hate this because my eyebrows tend to grow out FAST and get wonky. Plus one is always super arched and nice, and the other just pisses me off. It takes me some time to fill them in with MAC Omega Eyeshadow (yep, I’m back to my old standby) and get them even.
- Finally the good stuff! It takes me about 58 minutes to decide what eyeshadows to wear. Kidding. But really, I do have to have some idea of colors/brands while I am doing the other stuff otherwise I would never be able to choose.
- After eyeshadows are applied then I do eyeliner in some fashion. Usually I only line upper lid during work week because I have no time to get all crazy, but sometimes I do both.
- Next up, mascara!
- Here is where I apply MAC Fast Response Eye Cream to my under-eye area, prepping it for concealer.
- Blush goes on next.
- Then on goes a concealer or a pink brightener under the eye area, ONLY on my darker spots. I do not apply concealer (or anything) all over the whole under-eye or I would look 98 years old within 5 minutes.
- Finally I put on either a lip gloss or lipstick, and sometimes under the lipstick I use MAC Prep & Prime Lip Conditioner.
- My GOD, am I done yet? No, still the ever dreaded hair blowing out session.
- Take towel off head and very gently squeeze excess water out.
- Comb with large tooth comb.
- Add whatever concoction I am putting into it before blowing out.
- Blow all hair for a couple minutes to soak up more water.
- Dry bangs ASAP lest they start that dreaded bend-y thing they do.
- Starting with very bottom, section out and blow dry with large round brush.
- Then do the same with middle section.
- Finally the same with the very top.
- Normally I then run a flat iron just over the very sides of my hair. I have a bob cut, and if it’s not dried JUST right, it bends and flips and makes me crazy.
- I spray the bangs and back lightly with hairspray and smooth down flyaways.
By the time all this has ended I am hot, sweaty and annoyed. Hot and sweaty because I have no window in my bathroom and annoyed because I wasn’t born with hair like Portia de Rossi. Despite all the steps listed here, after my shower it only takes me 25-30 minutes max for makeup and hair, so not too bad I suppose.
So tell me, what are your morning beauty rituals? Whats your favorite and least favorite part of your routine?