Source: No clue of original but got it from here
Earlier today I was chatting with some Twitter friends about MTV and basically how amazingly cool and silly the 80’s were. It made me all nostalgic since this is the decade I spent my teens in.
It’s weird because when you are in a current decade you don’t necessarily notice the exact things that are happening that will make that decade really stand out in the future for people. Looking back there are clear-cut things that like totally make the 80’s stand out in a bitchen’ way (get it?) and some of my very fondest moments (and worst fashion/hair/makeup mistakes) are from then.
Here are some things that I remember very clearly about the 80’s and I’ll bet a lot of you do as well.
- Remember when MTV showed videos all day long and there wasn’t a single TV show on it?
- Remember when you would record your favorite videos onto a VHS tape so you could watch them over and over?
- Remember when ZZ Top had fluffy white guitar covers and spun them around in unison?
- Remember when electric blue eyeliner JUST came out?
- Remember when you had to use a rotary telephone?
- Remember when there were basically NO cool nail polish colors other than plain black?
- Remember when your only cool jeans brand was Levis?
- Remember when the scent of Aqua Net permeated the air?
- Remember when neon bathing suits that look like dive suits were in?
- Remember when Dynasty was BADASS?
- Remember when you were in love with Don Johnson on Miami Vice (I totally was)?
- Remember how ridiculously high the waist on jeans were? Like up to your boobs practically!
- Remember when the BEST movies made were from John Hughes?
- Remember when The Breakfast Club movie came out? The theme song still instantaneously brings me back.
- Remember when you totally ripped all your clothes up and added lace/pins/whatever to look like Madonna or Jennifer Beals from Flashdance?
- Remember when you first heard Metallica and were immediately hooked? No? Just me? 🙂
- Remember seeing the movie The Lost Boys in the theater multiple times? No? Just me? 🙂
- Remember taking your boombox that played CASSETTE TAPES to the park/beach/where-ever and blasting it like you were hella cool?
- Remember having to wait like a YEAR before a movie would come out for rental?
- Remember watching Friday the 13th movies all night long with your best friend?
- Remember listening to Casey Kasum?
- Remember when Tawny Kitaen was in like every video and it was so annoying?
- Remember when the only distraction while waiting around for say an appointment was an actual paper book? No cell phones, no iPads, no laptops…
- Remember recording music from a record player onto a cassette tape?
- Remember getting a microwave for the first time and thinking “Now THAT’S revolutionary”?
- Remember typing out your school papers on a tiny little computer that only did word processing?
- Remember the first time you heard about AIDS? I do, I was 13 in 8th grade in health class.
- Remember Breakin’ 2 Electric Boogaloo?
- Remember seeing JAWS 3D in theaters? I think I was one of like 10 people who actually saw that!
What are some of your fondest memories that define the decade you grew up in?