I’m one of those people that can be described as a chameleon. I change the way I look pretty much every 2-3 months and have since my teens. I change my makeup style, hair style, length and color, and even the way I dress constantly. I cannot tell you how many times someone has said to me “Oh I didn’t recognize you” and I kinda like it that way 🙂 If you asked me what my style was I would say “ever changing”.
Maybe it’s because I’m a Gemini (we get bored easily) or maybe it’s just because I am never satisfied. Whatever my reason is for wanting to look different, it’s been a fun (and sometimes expensive) adventure and I think it will probably continue until the day I drop dead!
Also try to note how much better the camera quality gets (for the most part) as the years go by, it’s kinda cool.
Age 6, 1978 (with my first kitten, Precious)
Age 7, 1979
- Makeup: I snuck on some pink lipgloss before my school photo was taken and then claimed I didn’t have any on when my mom asked about it 🙂
- Hair: Long, light blond and straight. Starting around age 8 or 9 I had a “thing” about my hair, being up on either one side or both. I HAD to have it up or I would have a fit. I had some clips with long colored ribbons on them that I loved. Oh and if I wore it in a ponytail and there was a SINGLE LUMP, god help us all. 😉 Oh and no, I haven’t outgrown the hair finickiness (blame it on being a Gemini)
Age 14, 1986 (looking a little like Cherri Currie from The Runaways here, haha)
Age 13: This is when I started wearing makeup
- Makeup: Thick black Wet n Wild eyeliner on the bottom only, winged out. I loved all dark nail polishes, but there weren’t very many back then
- Hair: Shortish, feathered and still naturally blond but getting darker. I started dumping peroxide on it and sitting in the sun at this age. I was DESPERATE for it to grow as fast as possible because no respectable metal-head back in the day had short hair 🙂
Age 16, 1988
- Makeup: Blue eyeliner and mascara, three shades of pastel eyeshadow (pink, blue, purple), brows not shaped, nothing on lips or face. The worst!
- Hair: Permed for the first (and last) time. Horrible. I hated the poufiness at first so I wore this godawful bandana on it constantly. I am speechless when I see this, I want to gag
Age 17, 1989
- Makeup: Same horrible eye makeup. You can’t see it in this photo but I had a cast up to my my thigh for 8 weeks. I had my ankle broken by someone throwing a table on it at a Death Angel/Vio-Lence show (oh the irony). There was a huge riot and things got nasty. That’s how I spent my 17th summer
- Hair: Growing out of perm, looking frizzy and bleh
Age 17, 1989
This was taken on New Years at a big party in the city. I am looking particularly ghostly and scary here with the makeup, crimped, frizzy hair, and frosted pink lipstick.
Age 18, 1990 (yep same Metallica shirt)
- Makeup: I finally lost the horrible eyeshadow but still loving the dark liner and mascara. Nose was pierced
- Hair: Still growing out and not dyed much. Somewhere around this time I dyed the tips of my blond hair black. Less than I week later I tried bleaching it out with STRAIGHT Clorox. It faded to brown, so I then cut off the ends
Age 19, 1991
Age 19, 1991
- Makeup: Rocked a major red lip and red fingernail polish almost all the time. The eyshadow was this awful orange/copper color and I wore it up to my brows. Important note: This is the age where I discovered MAC. More on that later.
- Hair: Was finally long and straight, but pretty fried and poufy. It was the Kelly Bundy era 🙂
Age 20 or 21, 1991/1992
- Makeup: Still rocking the red lip quite frequently, but I got way into MAC and my eyes were opened up to a whole new world of color!
- Hair: Long, straight and dyed a dark yet really bright burgundy purple, which faded into a hideous orange (see above). I then attempted to strip the orange out by dumping tons of peroxide and blond dye on top of it. It turned canary yellow mixed with white and felt very “mushy”. I had to go to a professional the next day to get it looking normal again. I took nose my piercing out because everyone I knew was getting them and I was no longer “unique”
Age 23, 1995
Age 25 or 26, 1998/1999 (wearing MAC Viva Glam II lipstick)
- Age 22: I wore Chanel Vamp nail polish and lipstick to the company Christmas party. Loved the polish, but the damn lipstick feathered and bled all night long. I wore mostly MAC and Urban Decay throughout my entire 20’s
- Age 23 & 24: I was heavily into MAC Folio lipstick and wore it constantly until Viva Glam II came out and that has become the lipstick I have gone through the most tubes of in my life
- Age 25: I fell in love with MAC Cyber lipstick and wore it all the time. In daylight. A tad dramatic for the office, no?
- Age 23: I cut my long hair off into a shoulder length cut. The color was some kind of blond
- Age 23/24: I went much shorter with the hair and had the very popular Kelly from 90210 cut. My hair was bleached white blond for about the whole year and I had it done every 6 weeks. I finally got sick of the maintenance, so I went a little bit darker beige blond
- Age 26: Had my hair dyed a dark red/purple when it was about shoulder length. I loved it but it faded super fast so I cut it very short and began the process of stripping the color out so I could get it back to blond. It took an eternity
Age 28, 2000 (wearing MAC So Be lipstick)
- Makeup: Getting a much better understanding of what looks good on me as far as makeup finally. Brows are shaped and trimmed, not wearing ridiculous eyeshadow and finally started wearing blush and foundation on a regular basis.
- Hair: This is as short as I have ever been and it was super, duper blond (but not bleached). Loved this cut and color at the time, it looked great on me and took about 2 minutes flat to style
Age 29, 2001
Age 31, 2003 (fresh from the salon, sans makeup, and with a baby Squirt!)
Age 32, 2004 (with a young Sammy)
- Makeup: I was getting better and better at choosing colors that worked for me and working on my application techniques. No more scary multi-colored pastels 🙂
- Hair: It went from long to short and back again over and over, and I was every shade of blond imaginable. I always wind up back to my favorite though, which is a cool, light beige blond
Had my hair dyed deep chocolate brown. Took me an eternity to get used to it and by the time I did, it was very faded. Decided to go back to blond…slowly
Age 35, 2007 (wearing MAC Pervette lipstick)
Age 35, June 2007 (wearing MAC Crystal Rose Lipglass, possibly my fav lipgloss ever)
Age 36, 2009
Age 37, August 2009
Age 37, April 2010
- Makeup: Started blogging in 2008, which kicked off a whole ‘nother level of makeup collecting. By now I have amassed a ridiculously large collection of nail polish (over 2,000). My makeup skills have improved tremendously during this timeframe, mostly from watching YouTube tutorials. Have learned A LOT. I was also fortune enough to create my own nail polish collection in December with one of my favorite brands, BB Couture called The Vampy Varnish Collection
- Hair: My hair was cut into an angled bob at various lengths and was mostly blond, sometimes lowlighted with dark brown, sometimes highlighted, sometimes solid. I pierced my nose (again but on opposite side) this summer but took it out after 6 months when it refused to heal
Age 38, August 2010
- Makeup: Steadily growing collection since I started beauty blogging. I feel like this year I have improved the most on my skills and look 1,000% better than I did at age 20 (even with the damn fine lines that are amassing rapidly)
- Hair: I had been growing it out almost the whole year of 2010. I went from a brown color early in the year to blond with dark brown underneath to then adding purple underneath then…
Age 38, September 2010
I felt a strong urge to hack it off again. So this time it was blond on top with a little of the dark brown (the purple above faded to dark brown) on the bottom. Then…
Age 38, November 2010
I chopped it off again, even shorter to more of a pixie style. I had it dyed medium/dark brown in November, but it faded and I didn’t like it. So then I…
Age 38, January 2011
Had a bunch of highlights put back in to make it blonder and am slightly growing the pixie out because I don’t like how short it is.
What’s next for me? I’m not sure because my mind changes quite literally every few minutes on what I want, but I am aiming for blonder and more of a bob shape again. I think my color and cut in March of 2007 and age 36 in 2009 looks the best on me.
What are some of your best and worst makeup and hair moments?