I am finally starting to feel like a human being! I got back from my trip then 2 days later got some sort of virus (probably from the yucky circulating air on the plane) and have been wiped out ever since.
My trip was both amazing and awful at the same time! Awful because I was socked with some severe jet lag, which I hadn’t really expected. This led to MAJOR insomnia the first 3 nights and stomach issues. Because of this, it threw our whole schedule off and I was not able to make it to Selfridges and meet with the Illamasqua representative there. Needless to say I was bummed out about that, but there was so much to see in London and makeup was not on the top of my list (or the hubbie’s for that matter!) I saw so many fabulous things I can’t even begin to list them all. The weather was in the high 70’s almost the entire time and it was just perfect. I love that city and can say with all honesty I could totally see myself living there, but NEVER in San Francisco, which is just right around the corner from me! Strange huh?
In terms of nail polish, strangely I had a helluva time finding any! I looked at 4 Boots stores and a few other stores like Superdrug, but didn’t see any Barry M or Nails, Inc., which bummed me out. Oh well, I did get some GOSH and Me, Me, Me which I will swatch for you. I saw these but didn’t get any:
Some observations I made about London compared to the Bay Area:
- The people there are FIT and thin. If you saw a very overweight person, it was almost always an American, sadly
- Hardly any fast food places and if they are it’s sandwiches and salads not burgers and fries
- The cars are small and efficient and no huge hunks of crap on the road. I saw only 2 SUV’s the entire time and no mini vans or trucks (or Hummers for that matter…)
- The women dress way better in general! I didn’t see anyone wearing pajamas or Uggs with sweatpants or Crocs, THANK GOD!
- The pizza is better (except for Zachary’s here). It’s thin dough, not a lot of sauce and fresh mozzarella and ingredients
- Despite what people always say about bad food in London, there are a gazillion restaurants there with all kinds of food, just like in SF. We only had one meal that sucked, everything else was great!
- They drive like maniacs, they get within centimeters of other cars and pedestrians and pedestrians don’t *really* have the right of way, so watch out!
- You have to ask for ice if you want it and the sodas are usually warm and in smaller bottles. They don’t use straws
- Tons of people walk or bike to work
- Only saw 2 walls with graffiti on it
- The parks are AMAZING! They are huge, open, clean and green. There is nothing like that here, I am so jealous
- The city is super clean, no trash anywhere
- Only saw a couple homeless people, compared with SF where you trip on them every 10 feet
- And the best thing…I saw only ONE pair of acrylic nails and that was on a Stewardess!!!!
I will now inundate you with pics from my trip. My hubbie and I took over 1300 pics if you can believe it! Don’t worry there are nowhere NEAR that many here.
Fence top at Buckingham Palace and with my favorite symbol!
Love the flag peeking through the fence top at Buckingham Palace
St. James Park, nothing more pleasing to my eye than symmetry…
St. Paul’s Cathedral
We need these signs here!
Traitor’s Gate: This is the gate you DO NOT want to come in when you visit the Tower of London!
Anne Boleyn and many others were executed just feet away from this memorial on the Tower Green
The London Eye, we went on this and there are incredible views
Big Ben, Parliament and The London Eye
Westminster Abbey which blew my mind. I saw the actual burial tombs of Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Chaucer and Dickens to name a few. Unbelieveable!
My pal Big Ben from below
Parliament and Big Ben overlooking the Thames
Harrods! Hands down the most amazing store I have ever laid eyes on.
MAC looks the same in England
Yummy pastries at Harrods
My delicious pizza at Harrods
Dog/cat beds, if you can believe it! I think Sammy wants one…
Delicious treats at Harrods
Prince Albert Memorial in Hyde Park
Hyde Park. Everywhere you looked there were TONS of peeps basking in the (rare) sunlight!
I have always wanted to try on one of these dresses. And to think, if you really do have large hips, this sure hides them! Love it.
Isn’t he cute? I had to take this pic
This pub called The Ten Bells is one of the oldest there, since 1752. Jack the Ripper’s last victim frequented this place and he may have as well
The Rosetta Stone at The British Museum
Egyptian cat sarcophagus’s from a gazillion years ago
. I told my cats this is what I was going to do to them when they pass on, haha.
Our last day and afternoon tea. I could eat gallons of clotted cream, for real.
I am so glad I had the opportunity to go there and there is SO MUCH more I want to see. Next time I will pad my trip an extra 3 days for recovery though!