Many moons ago I purchased the Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask at Sephora because it looked cool. And it had the word “rose” in it. Seriously! Remember last week when I said I had been known to purchase things because of the texture? This pink concoction looked like it had the coolest texture and the color, the color!!
Ok but really I also was kind of hoping it would do something to my face because it wasn’t exactly cheap. This is what they have to say about the product: Cutting-edge plant biotechnology isolates and replicates the perfect rose stem cells for maximum anti-age repair. With state-of-the-art, 21st century breakthrough stem cell technology, five rose stem cells are blended with four rose extracts in a cooling, rejuvenating gel to help stimulate cell turnover for younger looking skin. Helps repair the signs of aging, including the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dehydration, dullness and sagging as it strengthens and tones the look of skin. Reveals silky soft, radiant, beautiful and youthful-looking skin.
Sounds promising, yes?
And you know how I mentioned I also kind of bought it because it was rose scented? Well you get a TON of rose “goo” inside this stuff as well:
Five Rose Plant Stem Cells
- Rose Commiphora – a duo of the damas rose and the well known topical stimulant (commiphora tree) that together possess anti-inflammatory properties.
- Desert Rose – helps promote surface cell regeneration, rebuilds skin barrier and helps restore suppleness.
- Damas Rose – helps to tighten pores, purify, smooth and strengthen skin resistance to signs of aging.
- Pale Rose – helps to rebuild the moisture barrier, provides skin suppleness and softness, regenerating, restructuring.
- White Rose – a humectant, adds & retains moisture, suitable for normal to dry, mature, sensitive, devitalized skin.
Four Rose Extracts
- Rosa Damascena – distilled from the damask rose, this is a most expensive and rare essential oil containing many properties of the rose in concentrated form.
- Rosa Canina – rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C to help soothe and heal irritated skin.
- Rose Hip Seed – known for its skin-restoring hydrating and balancing properties.
- Rose Water – soothing and toning properties that help provide weightless hydration to revive tired skin, also known for its light, beautiful natural fragrance.
The things I love about this product are the gel texture and the pink color. It smells of beautiful rose, but it’s not overly strong or sickly. You only need a little bit, so it will last a long time. It doesn’t take too long to sink into the skin and once it does, it doesn’t feel sticky, oily or heavy at all. It makes my skin feel hydrated and helps with any dry areas I may have. How I have been using it is putting it on over a retinoid face serum and eye cream.
But I am not yet sold on it repairing the signs of aging, fine lines or it making me look younger. My skin does look better when it’s actually on my face, of course, because my skin looks hydrated. But pretty much any lotion/gel/cream does that. I haven’t noticed my skin being “repaired” really in any way. So as with every other anti-aging product I have used, I am not so sure I will ever appear younger or achieve firmer skin with this, but it’s fun to use while I have it at least!
Are there any Peter Thomas Roth products you swear by?
Note: Not cruelty free